Sunday, July 26, 2015

Oracle Backup & Recovery Series - 2 (Multiplex Redo Logs & FRA Setup)

This is the second post in the Oracle Backup & Recovery Series that explains how to setup our environment for recoverabilty  (Read post -1, If you've not read it before). Using OEM dbconsole, I will be showing how to multiplex the redo log files and size the FRA destination appropriately.

Let's setup the FRA destination correctly (Iam naming it as +BACKUP). Click on the Availability tab and under "Setup", Select "Recovery Settings"


Scroll down the page till you see the Fast Recovery section, and approproately size the FRA location. I setup my FRA location as 5 GB.




Now that we have created a new FRA with 5 GB size, we can now multiplex our redo logs using both +DATA & +BACKUP dg. Let's begin with checking the redo log groups and the member of each group by logging into OEM dbconsole and in database homepage, click on "Server" tab and "Redo Log Groups" (Under Storage) Section as shown in below screenshots. 




I had 6 groups of redo logs for 3 instances each with 2 members in each group, click on "Edit" button to view the redo log members and the storage location for them.



Both my redo logs are placed in the same ASM diskgroup (+DATA), We should be removing one of them and adding a new redo log on the different ASM diskgroup (In my case it would be in +BACKUP dg).

 Note:- While removing the redo logs, make sure the log group is not in the "Current" status, If yes, go back to the Redo Log Groups page using the breadcrum and select on "Switch Log" in the pull down actions menu, before proceeding.



Now I've changed the location of my redo log member from +DATA to +BACKUP, So, at any given point of time, I will have a surviving copy of my redo logs in any one of the ASM diskgroups.

Followed the same procedure for all my other redo log groups.

HAPPY LEARNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you valuable comments !